One of the things I truly love about this country,is the incredible creativity of people when it comes to food! I’ve seen bacon ice cream,uncommon combinations of savory with chocolate,and they work harmoniously together. I have a true love about pizza,though. Pizza dough is like a blank canvas,you can get really creative and make from savory to desserts! Is really difficult to find a gluten-free pizza dough that you can work with. To be as pliable as the regular one and of course tasty. The yeasty flavor,that doesn’t overwhelm you,the beautiful char and of course,the toppings.
I was really hungry,and that’s when the inspiration and creativity hits me. Why not pizza balls stuffed with sausage?That sounded so perfect,but what about cheese? Lets make a quick cheese-jalapeno mix. At this point I was Go big or Go home girl! For my pizza balls,I used a recipe from Honest Cooking,that is very close to an Italian pizza. I don’t want to upset my Italian friends,but it really is! The sausages where just perfect! Not spicy and the combination with the jalapeno and melted cheese mix is a home run! You won’t stop eating these!
For the pizza dough:
- 2 cups brown rice flour
- 2 cups tapioca starch
- 2 cups white rice flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 2 tbsp yeast
- 2 tbsp xantham gum
- 3 1/4 cups lukewarm water
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar or honey
- 2 eggs,large
For the stuffing:
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/3 cup mozzarella,shredded
- 2 tbsp finely chopped jalapeno
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese,shredded
- 3 Johnsonville original brats
- 1 tsp canola oil
- Whisk together the flours,cornmeal,yeast,salt and xantham gum in a 5-quart( 5 liter) bowl or lidded food container.
- Combine the liquid ingredients with the honey and add the mixture to the dry ingredients,in a heavy duty stand mixer with a paddle attachment,mix well until the dry ingredients are well incorporated.
- Cover and let it in a room temperature,until it rises for approximately 2 hours.
- You can use the dough immediately or you can divide it in thirds and refrigerate it in a lidded (not airtight) food container and use it over the next 5 days,or freeze it over the next two weeks.Though is better to handle when is cold. If using immediately,put some rice flour on a clean counter top and knead until is formed into a ball.
- Preheat the oven at 425 F (220 C).
Prepare the stuffing:
- In a medium bowl,mix the first 5 ingredients,set aside.
- Heat a frying pan in a medium heat. Add the canola oil.
- Remove sausage from their links and add it to the pan. Saute it until it’s done.
Take a piece of your dough,form it into a ball and press it with your palm. Add a tablespoon of sausage and a tablespoon of the cheese mix and seal it carefully. Repeat to the rest,drizzle some oil on top of each pizza dough,place it on a greased baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
Let it cool before you eat them! Enjoy!