Who doesn’t love chocolate! Personally,prefer semi sweet and dark chocolate,but I love making any kind of chocolate,with flavor combinations that nobody every thought about,but actually work terrific together!I love the whole process making chocolate bar. It’s a tedious job,but it’s a labor of love!The house bathes with the aromas of the roasted cacao nibs. It smells like brownies! The tempering of chocolate,that rich,dark full of aromas goodness!
This time I made a white chocolate bar filled with pistachio, tahini and orange. These are some of the flavors I grew up with. Greece has a big produce of pistachios and tahini. I remember as a kid,My grandmother,eating for breakfast tahini spread on a slice of bread and a grapefruit. “It’s healthy and it’s good for the cholesterol!” she has always said. She was forcing me to eat those,too but to me was so disgusting. I would prefer some Nutella instead of tahini! I found a way to make her happy,and let her know that I ate tahini,by incorporating pistachios,cranberries and orange. The cranberries give that natural sweetness that the filling needs and the orange brightens up the whole chocolate bar and the salt balances the sweet and rich flavors.
It’s great flavor combination,it reminds me of Middle East flavors packed in rich white chocolate.
Makes 6 4×1 inch chocolate bars
- 1 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- chocolate bar molds
For the filling:
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/3 cup pistachios
- 2 tbsp dried cranberries
- 1/2 tbsp orange blossom water
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- juice from one orange
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- Melt the chocolate in a microwave safe bowl and add 1 tsp canola oil. That will make the chocolate smoother and will not harden fast. Or you can melt it in a bain marie (a hot water bath,fill up with water the 2/3 of a medium size pot and let it simmer on a medium heat. Place a metallic or glass bowl that fits on the top of the pot,add the chocolate and the canola oil and let it melt. Mix while it’s melting,butdo not over mix,because it seizes. Don’t let your eyes off of it!)
To make the filling:
- In a food processor,add the pistachios and pulse until you get a smooth paste,almost like a pistachio butter.
- Add the tahini and the rest of the ingredients except dried cranberries. Pulse until you get a smooth and thick paste. Place the mixture in a medium bowl and mix in the cranberries. Put the mixture in a piping bag(or Ziploc) and cut the tip-off.
Take your chocolate molds,add a tablespoon of the melted white chocolate,try to get all over the molds,leave it for a minute.
Turn the molds upside down and try to scrape with a spatula the remaining white chocolate,while it’s still upside down. Clean the sides of the molds. It’s a little bit of a messy job at first,but it’s actually very easy to make!
With your piping bag,pip a little bit in every well of the chocolate mold.
Try to fill almost the 2/3 of the well. Let it sit for a minute or two. Drizzle the rest of the white chocolate and smooth it with a wet spatula.
Place the chocolate molds in the freezer until hardens.
Note: If you don’t have chocolate bar molds,you can use you muffin tins and make white chocolate cups,or chocolate barks instead.