Fall is here,the pumpkin season with pumpkin patches,pumpkin cakes and carvings and any kind of recipes a foodie can dream!
To be quite honest,before I come to America,I’ve never had that kind of desire for pumpkin. In Greece our uses of pumpkin is a bit different than here,and mostly in savory dishes that a human mind cannot reach.We combine it with feta cheese(Yes, feta cheese!) in pitas. The marriage between briny feta cheese and sweet pumpkin is so successful. As successful as these beautiful blondies!
Extremely moist,richly spiced and scrumptious! The sweetness of the frosting is just enough,doesn’t overpower the pumpkin flavor and doesn’t overwhelm you. The amount of spices and pumpkin is just enough to please everyone.
- 1/2 butter,melted
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup gf all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/3 cup macadamia nuts,chopped
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice
Brown sugar Frosting:
- 1/4 butter,melted
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon rum(optional)
- 1 cup powder sugar
- Preheat oven at 350 F. Line an 8×8 baking dish with foil and grease it with some canola oil. Set aside.
- In a bowl of a stand mixer combine melted butter and sugar. Mix until combined. Add in egg and vanilla extract and continue mixing until incorporated. Stir in salt,flour,pumpkin spice and pumpkin puree until thoroughly mixed and smooth. With a rubber spatula,stir in macadamia nuts and mix well.Spread the batter in prepared baking dish.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until center is set.
- Transfer pan to wire rack to cool.
- Frost blondies when they are mostly cooled.
Brown sugar frosting:
- In a medium sauce pan melt butter. Add brown sugar,rum,orange zest and milk and stir until mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat,allow to cool for 5 minutes.
- Stir in powder sugar with a whisk.
- Spread on top of blondies and and allow frosting to cool completely.