Food has always had a big impact in my life. I have fond memories of my family gathering around,cooking,laughing, baking for hours, and making up mess in the kitchen. I remember our house,every winter was bathed with those beautiful aromas of cinnamon and brown sugar, my father mastering the apple pie cake and bragging about it,and he had every single right to do it. Besides,his cake was just heavenly!
Once you sink your teeth into it,first you hear the crunchy crumble on top. Then you are getting deeper into the soft but not mushy ,perfectly spiced apples and finally to the fluffy,airy,like a cloud in your mouth,cake.
Not overly sweet,the spices and apples marry so well together and the hint of orange brightens the cake. You can’t deny a piece of cake like this! I had to make the gluten free version of this cake as soon as possible!
For the base of the cake,I used the same with my scrumptious Toblerone cakes!
APPLE PIE CAKE
Cooking time:40 minutes
for the cake:
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup canola oil
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- zest and juice of an orange
- 1 cup white rice flour
- ½ cup almond flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- ½ cup corn starch
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
for the filling:
- 3 medium Fiji apples
- 1 tablespoon Rum (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- juice of half orange
for the topping:
- ¾ cup gluten free all purpose flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter,cut into small cubes
- 1/3 cup almond flakes
Preheat oven at 350 F. Grease a 13×8 inch pan.
To make the filling:
- In a medium bowl,peel the apples and cut them into ¼ inch slices.
- Add the rest of the filling ingredients and toss well.
- Keep it on the side.
To make the cake:
- In a medium bowl,whisk together eggs and sugar for two minutes.
- Add canola oil,yogurt,orange juice and zest,vanilla extract and whisk again.
- Add rice flour,corn starch,baking powder,salt,almond flour.
- Whisk again until thoroughly mixed.
Pour the cake mixture on the bottom. Place the apple slices in order and pour the liquid that’s left on the bowl. That’s the yummiest part!
Sprinkle topping over the apples and cake batter evenly. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, Cool completely before serving. Sprinkle with some powdered sugar and it’s ready!