It’s still winter time,the sky is grey and moody, with cold and rainy weather, and the low temperature makes you want to stay home,sleepy and cuddle up! All we need is a cup of rich and creamy hot chocolate or a full glass of full-bodied red wine at night to relax after a long day,while kids are finally asleep! Whether you are a stay-at-home parent or a working mom or dad,we all deserve occasionally a special treatment.
What’s better than the chocolate and red wine combination? The one ingredient compliments the other and both marry so perfectly together. The chocolate-cherry red wine cupcake will definitely steal your heart! These are no your ordinary cupcakes.There is plenty of alcohol,in those cupcakes,so these are not for kids.
Once you sink your teeth into it,you get the deep chocolate flavor with wine undertone,rich cherry and red wine filling with a silky cream cheese frosting. There is something special about that cherry-wine filling. It’s like a present inside a delicious little package! These sweet goodness will satisfy the most refined tastebuds.
CHOCOLATE CHERRY AND RED WINE CUPCAKES (GLUTEN FREE)
• 1 cup sugar
• 2 eggs
• 1¼ cups gluten free all-purpose flour
• 1 tablespoon baking power
• 2 tablespoons dutch process cocoa
• ½ cup whole milk
• ¼ cup reduced wine *how to in notes*
• ½ cup unsalted Butter (melted and cooled)
• 2 tablespoons oil
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 Preheat your oven at 350 F. Line your muffin tins with cupcake liners.
2 In mixer bowl beat sugar and eggs, until smooth and creamy
3 Add in flour, baking powder and cocoa
4 Pour in milk, wine, butter and oil.
5 Beat for one minute until smooth
6 Mix in vanilla on low speed
7 Fill lined cupcake pans with 3 tablespoons batter
8 Bake 15-18 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
1 cup red wine (I used a Cabernet Sauvignon
Boil one cup of red wine until it reduces in half (about 10-12 minutes on medium low heat)
FOR THE CHERRY-RED WINE FILLING:
• 1 cup red wine
• 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
• 1/3 cup cherries,pitted
• 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
1. In a saucepan add the first three ingredients. Reserve a teaspoon of the red wine.
2. Let it reduce on low medium heat for 10-12 minutes.
3. At the end,mix the reserved red wine with the cornstarch and add it in red wine-cherry reduction.
4. Remove from heat.
FOR THE VANILLA FROSTING:
• ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter (set at room temp about 10 minutes, but should still be cool)
• 8 oz. cream cheese (directly from fridge)
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (always use pure vanilla extract if possible)
• 4 cups powdered confectioners sugar
• 1 to 4 Tablespoons heavy cream, heavy whipping creamDirections:
1. Place butter in a large mixing bowl and beat until smooth. Add cream cheese and blend until fully combined and smooth, about 30 seconds.
2. Add vanilla extract and powdered sugar and blend on low speed until combined. Increase to medium speed and beat until it begins to get fluffy.
3. Slowly add the heavy cream, a little bit at a time until desired consistency is met. (Don’t add too much if you want the frosting to stay in place when piped on cupcakes.)
4. Beat until fluffy, about 1 minute.
Core out the cupcakes.
Fill each cupcake with the cherry-wine filling.
Top it with the vanilla frosting,and drizzle with some of the filling on top.