Season of the strawberries is here and so is summer! There are so much to love about summer,walks at the beach under the warm sun, the food is getting as lighter as possible and the desserts fruitier and fragrant!
Now, let’s put our forks and knifes down,for a little bit because it’s time for hand pies! I love the versatility of hand pies, savory with cheese,meat or veggies or sweet with chocolate,or juicy fragrant fruits for the sweet lovers,like myself.
Flaky,buttery pie pockets stuffed with Nutella and organic strawberries. As both of the filling ingredients bake,they unite into a chocolatey and fruity sauce,hard to resist! Isn’t one of the perfect combinations with Nutella? Oh my goodness! For those who are a bit hesitant about the sweetness of the pies,I assure you, it’s not overwhelming at all.
Let your fingers cover with flakes of buttery pie crust and enjoy the filling oozing out of it!
STRAWBERRY NUTELLA HAND PIES
Yields: 8-10 Cooking time: 15-18 minutes Difficulty:easy
For the dough:
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup (2 sticks or 225 grams) cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
- 1/2 cup cold sour cream
For the filling:
- 3/4 cup Nutella
- 2 cups diced strawberries
- 1 tablespoon sugar,depends on the sweetness of the strawberries
- 2 teaspoons gf all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- Crystal sanding sugar
Make the dough:
- In a large bowl,whisk together the flour, salt and baking powder.
Add the cubed butter to the bowl and use your fingers to work the butter into the flour until the mixture looks like wet sand.
- Stir in the sour cream,don’t worry if the dough becomes wet. Then turn the dough out onto a well-floured work surface.
- Knead the dough a few times until it comes together, adding more flour, 1 teaspoon at a time, if the dough is too sticky to handle. Roll the dough into an 8×10-inch (20×25 cm) rectangle and dust both sides with flour before folding it into thirds as if you were folding a letter.
Rotate the dough 90º and roll it out again into an 8×10-inch (20×25 cm) rectangle. Repeat once more then wrap it in plastic wrap and refrigerate it for at least 30 minutes while you make the filling.
To make the filling:
In a small bowl, combine the diced strawberries with the flour and sugar, tossing to combine. Set aside.
Assemble the pies:
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF (220 C)
Remove the dough from the refrigerator and roll it out to a 14×14-inch (35×35 cm) square. Always floured surface.
Using a 3-inch (3.5 cm) circular cookie cutter or cup, cut out as many circles as possible. Re-roll the scraps and continue cutting out circles until you run out of dough.
- Place the dough circles on a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet. Spread a portion of the Nutella in the centers of half of the dough circles leaving a border around the edges. Spoon a small portion of the strawberries atop the Nutella.
- Place a second dough circle atop each filled circle then use a fork,or just your finger, to seal the edges of each pie. Whisk together the egg with the water to make an egg wash. Brush each pie with the egg wash, and using a sharp knife, cut two or three vents on the top of each pie.
- Sprinkle the pies with crystal sanding sugar.
- Bake the pies for about 15-18 minutes, or until they’re golden brown.
Remove the pies from the oven and allow them to rest for 10 minutes before serving. Repeat the filling and baking process with the remaining dough circles.
The dough might not be as the regular pie dough,and that’s normal. To prevent the knife sticking in the dough while cutting the vents,dip the sharp edge in the flour.
Recipe adapted by Just a taste