Almost a month ago,I made these beautiful Strawberry nutella hand pies and they were a big hit! My daughter absolutely loved them. So,she asked me if we could make cookies with her new cookie cutters. You see, she is my assistant and she needs her(actually mine) cookie cutters. As I was trying to find an easy cookie recipe, I thought of that pie crust.
Anna put her Doc Mcstuffins robe,her cute little rolling pin and her cookie cutters and she was waiting for the dough to be ready.
One of the great things about this pie crust is the fact that rolls easily and is buttery and flaky. She made her own cookie shapes and I made mine. It was so much fun! Adding some chocolate chips to the dough and top it with some strawberry-orange sauce. These cookies melt in your mouth!
Shortbread cookies with strawberry sauce
Servings: 4-6 Cooking time:20 minutes Difficulty: Easy
- a batch of my gf pie crust
- a cup of chocolate chips
For the strawberry sauce:
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries,diced
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven at 350 F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Prepare the pie crust and at the end add the chocolate chips in the dough.
- Roll it into a 12×12 inch square and with a 3 inch (3.5 cm) cookie cutter cut circles and keep cutting until you run out of dough. Sprinkle with some sugar on top.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until golden brown.
To make the strawberry sauce:
- In a medium-low sauce pan,under medium heat add strawberries and sugar. Stir frequently.
- When the strawberries start soften and all the liquid comes out add the orange juice and vanilla extract. In a small bowl add the water and the cornstarch,stir until well combined and add it to the strawberry sauce. Simmer for 6-10 minutes.
- Let it cool.
- When the cookies are ready,serve with the strawberry sauce on top.